Flash-Cooked Curried Salmon
Faster than a fried egg: Thinly slice salmon, throw it in a hot, non-stick pan no fat is necessary then flip it almost the second it hits the heat. I added the curry powder to make the salmon akin to Kerry's Salmon Tandoori, but you could just as easily omit the curry powder and finish it with lemon to serve it alongside any kind of traditional American or European side dish.
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
2 tablespoons curry powder or Garam Masala
Salt to taste
Chickpea Raita (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Cut the salmon fillets in half horizontally to make 8 thinner pieces: Hold your knife parallel to the cutting board and use your other hand to apply pressure on the salmon so the knife glides through evenly. Dust each piece with the curry powder and salt on both sides. Put 4 plates in the oven to warm.
2. Preheat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat for 1 minute the salmon should sizzle when it hits the pan?then add the fillet halves. Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side. You'll see the opaque pink color salmon turns as it cooks climbing up the sides of the fillets almost as soon as it hits the pan, and the idea is to serve it just a touch rare in the middle. You'll need to cook the fish in batches, but as each will take only 1 to 2 minutes, that shouldn't be much of a problem.
3. Put the salmon on the warmed plates as it finishes. Serve immediately, with Chickpea Raita.
Makes: 2 1/2 Cups
Time: 10 minutes
It's worth your while to seek out a yogurt that's not overly processed for this raita (and, for that matter, any other use); national brands often add thickeners to their yogurts, which significantly change the yogurt's natural consistency. If they're all that's available to you, just whisk the yogurt with a little water to thin it out.
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt, preferably full fat
1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained (canned are fine)
1/4 cup minced cucumber (leave the skin on if it's unwaxed)
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
Salt and black pepper
1. Combine the yogurt, chickpeas, cucumber, onion, sugar, cumin, and mustard in a bowl.
2. Add red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste and serve immediately.